Monday, January 09, 2012

Randy

This past summer I had the opportunity to work with a guy named Randy. Randy is 25 years old and a quadriplegic. It was kind of random that I was offered this job in the first place when I have no experience with disabilities and limited time because I already have a job, but what intrigued me was that I stood to learn so much from someone who had lost so much. I am told that Randy was a fabulous violinist, dancer, and gymnast. All of that was taken away when he was a senior in college and broke his neck in a tumbling accident.

Randy was doing an internship and needed extra assistance, so for about 5 weeks I lived in downtown D.C., commuted in to work on the metro, and cared for Randy in the evenings. It was exhausting, yet rewarding. I loved being in the city, loved commuting on public transit where I had time to read books or watch the many colorful people around me. I loved being in the mix of things with cultural fairs, a Tibetian street fair, or farmers market Thursdays. It was quite an experience. But mostly I learned more of my need of God and gained a deeper desire to reflect Him.

“For it is the God who commanded light to shine out of darkness, who has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellence of the power may be of God and not of us. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair.” 2 Cor. 4:6-8

No comments: