Monday, April 23, 2012

Grandpa


We went to Texas for GYC after Christmas and I was determined to go see my grandfather who lives just a few hours away. He has not really been a part of my life and I haven't seen him for about 19 years I think. I was just a little thing when we visited his house once, yet I have distinct memories about the sights and smells of those few hours. 

My Dad's dad is in his late 80's now and I don't really know how much time I might have left. I figured this might be as close as I will get in the near future, so I grabbed the opportunity. It also happened to be 3 days after the passing of my Mom’s dad—the only grandfather I have even known, and for this reason it meant so much more.

I arrived near midnight and felt bad that they had to come and get me so late, but they didn't want me in a bus station alone. They said they were afraid they wouldn't recognize me, but as soon as I stepped off the bus, there was no mistaking the family resemblance. 

The next day I spent a few hours with my grandfather and his sweet wife. He recounting war stories and she filling in histories about their families. I enjoyed their company and all the old family pictures. The hours flew by too quickly and all too soon it was time to leave. 

I got some photos of and with my grandfather despite his protests that it would break my camera. However, somewhere between then and when I next checked, the memory card got lost, so all I have are a couple cellphone pics. 

When I left, Grandpa hugged and kissed me repeatedly and asked that I come again soon. It wasn't just a check on my bucket list that day, it was the repairing of a breach. 

 A drawing my grandfather made when he was young
A family photo


No comments: