Friday, November 30, 2012

Sleep

We got the news that our dear friend, Rick, passed away from the cancer he's been fighting for a few years now. My heart aches for his loss, for the shortness of time, but ecpecially for his family. Rick left behind a 19-year-old son, a 12-year-old daughter, and a courageous wife.

Elissa and I really wanted to be there for the memorial, so we jumped in the car and drove all night so we could be there for the service in Maine in the morning. It was a bit dangerous to travel on no sleep, but God protected us and we arrived in the early morning hours and surprised our parents by walking in unannounced.

The service was really special. Many people came and it was evident that Rick touched many lives. His son, Nick, gave a beautiful Eulogy. There were many tears, and then a family meal for all the guests.

I was reminded of sleep in different ways today; this is but a sleep for Rick and we look forward to seeing him again soon.

By evening I was so tired that I was not able to function well. I gratefully dropped into bed exhausted. Today I am thankful for Rick, for sleep, and for the promise of new life.

Nick (front right) and family
A traditional Italian dessert at the memorial meal

No comments: