Friday, April 15, 2011

Overheard:


The weekend before last, when I went downtown to admire the blossoms, I overheard so many interesting conversations. Here are a few examples:

"Obama is still young.", "He's young????"

"I'd have to mortgage my house to get a lens that big..."

"1, 2, 3, 4, 12...so close!"

"My great grandma is 102."

"It smells like fish and strawberry Chapstick."

"Where is Cambodia?"

"How could you loose him??? He's wearing all red!", "It's like freaking where's Waldo out there!"

All around me there were:
-families having a picnic
-a father playing football with his boys
-a child attempting to sing the Hallelujah chorus from a tree
-a couple brides trying to take pictures amidst the crowds
-some guy doing the electric slide...

So many people; great place to people watch.

I have to say my favorite (albeit horrifying) exchange of the day went something like this:

Girl: "Mommy, is Africa in South America?", Mother: "Yes, sweetie, Africa is in South America." Father: "No, Africa is not in South America". Daughter: "Where is it then?", Father: "I don't know, but I know it's not there."

I was dumbfounded.

This is what makes me fear for the future.

3 comments:

Jonathan Gerrans said...

wow... that's frightening...

Unknown said...

how funny!! (and sad at the same time ... or maybe sad that I find it funny). Great post, Lauren!

Nadja said...

Oh my! That is scary.. so sad that even basic geography is unknown!