Saturday, July 04, 2009

many Junes


Yesterday Sophie sat down next to me and asked "Are you always going to be our nanny?" "Well, just for a while" I replied. "You need to be our nanny for many Junes" Sophie continued, "Sarah's birthday is in June and you need to be here until she is big--at least 10 more Junes!" I thought it was very insightful of her to note that her baby sister would be needing me the longest and that she would grow older in all the "Junes". Most children remember their birthdays, but don't pay much heed to those of their siblings. She is not the most orderly or focused child, but there was definite order to her words. Just the fact that she wanted whole years from June to June was significant.
My friend Anthony asked me the other day which was my favorite child and which was the most difficult. Sophie currently comes out on top of the difficult category due to her temper tantrums, but I have a feeling that she is going to endear herself to me in a way that none of the other children will.

No comments: