Saturday, July 04, 2009

the new Mary Poppins


I have always loved kids, so I thought it would be fun to nanny over the summer while I studied for the GRE and figured out what I was doing next. I posted a profile online and before I knew it, I was employed. It was almost too easy, but I feel it was no accident. I feel like God hand picked families for me and that I am in their life and they in mine for such a time as this. I don't know what the next few months hold, but they are such a great fit for me. I started with one family and then ended up adding a second. Both families hired me instantly upon meeting me and they told me "We don't usually do this, but you're hired! That was easy!" No background check, no references, no time to think it over. Done. This was very humbling for me because I know that they saw something in me that instantly put them at ease. I heard a song a while ago that became a new favorite of mine. I heard it just days after I had expressed the same words to my cousin. It says: "the only thing that's good in me is Jesus". Anything good that they see in me is all Jesus.
So now I have a 3 month old named Luke on Tuesdays and Thursdays with occasional company from siblings Hayden, 14 and Josephine, 11. Monday, Wednesday, Friday I have three girls: Emma, 7, Sophia 5 and Sarah, 1. They are a handful, but a lot of fun. They are so sweet and affectionate and I just soak up all their kisses. It amazes me that they just take me in with open arms and LOVE me. A stranger. This kind of unconditional love that children exude ripples through my heart and out my fingertips. Isn't this the way it is with God? We love Him because He first loved us.
It's nice for me to have "Luke days" to balance out my week. He is a very good natured baby and is always making me smile. He laughs a lot and it makes me laugh too. He even laughs in his sleep, it's precious. I can't believe how big he is getting, he seems to get bigger each time I see him.

this is Luke
Emma and Sarah

No comments: