Wednesday, March 09, 2011

walk around the lake



So, I was in Orlando for these meetings and we were given an hour in the middle of the day for lunch. I didn't much care about lunch, I just wanted to be outside...to walk around and enjoy the sunshine that I hadn't seen in a great while. One day I decided to walk around the "lake" behind the hotel where the meetings were. I was there to enjoy the day and take pictures of whatever captured my fancy. I passed several homeless people and all I wanted to do was sit and talk to them...so I did. I sat down introduced myself and asked about their situation. Rick was content to just roll his cigarettes and read his book, I wished I had a great book to leave with him. John was more inclined to conversation and told me all about his recent job loss and current circumstances. He told me that they charged $1 for each night he stayed at the homeless shelter and sometimes he couldn't manage the dollar, so he had to sleep outside. I looked down at my shoes and rekoned that they likely cost more than all his worldly possessions that were now reduced to a bright blue bin at his feet. I asked if I could pray with him and he probably thought I was crazy, but he agreed. I then asked if I could contribute to his housing fund and he said he would be greatly blessed. I suppose I am a little crazy; I talk to strangers on the street and have been known to pick up hitch hikers. Maybe I am a little too trusting, but this is the very thing that gets me places others cannot go. And gives me a duty to do what I can. I looked around and saw so many fancy vehicles and a doggy day-spa, and yet all around there were people hungering to be seen. I need to do more to live simply. Let me never get so busy that I stop seeing people.

1 comment:

Ali said...

Yay, more Lauren pictures! Thanks for sharing them and your experience. A couple weeks ago I interviewed an albino lady who is dying of skin cancer and can't pay the several dollars for her children's school security fees and the several more dollars for her monthly rent. It was heartbreaking but all I had to offer her were my few badly pronounced Swahili words of sympathy. It didn't seem like enough...